Time: Thursdays all day from 9:30am-3:30pm
Location: Peace Garden and Farms, 3510 West 15th Ave, Gary, IN 46404
Cost: $150 (limited partial fee reductions upon request)
Registration Due By: April 12, 2018
Mission Statement: The Master Urban Farmer Training Program is designed to provide new urban farmers in Lake County the introductory knowledge and skills to start an urban farm. At the end of the program, it is expected that participants will be able to write a viable business plan and have the information necessary to move forward with their urban farming goals.
- Develop the basic knowledge of the hard skills involved in urban farming systems.
- Create awareness of practices and procedures that participants could utilize in their own operations
- Understand the financial and business tools needed to manage a profitable farm. This includes developing the beginnings of a business plan.
- University of Illinois is working in cooperation with Purdue Extension-Lake County with the program.
Who Should Take This Program?
- Entrepreneurs who want to start an intensive urban produce farm operation.
- Community members in underserved/food insecure communities who want to develop their food production skill set in order to increase food security and/or establish a community food system project.
- Master Gardeners and Naturalists interested to intensify their food production skill set.
- Educators who want to bring food production knowledge back to their organization.
- New growers interested in more intensive training programs, but not sure if they want to commit the time or the money.
- Anyone who is interested in Urban Farming!
Nikky Witkowski, Agriculture Extension Educator, Lake County, Indiana
If you require auxiliary aids and services due to a disability, please contact us by April 2, 2018 at 219-755-3240.